Wednesday, June 13, 2007

This so pisses me off

I am reading blogs today and I find an interesting one so I settle in to read the past posts. I find a post that is interesting in some aspects and I read the comments to find that someone has listed my blog and implied that I am a person who "wants" to be sick.

Why would someone who doesn't know me, doesn't know anything about where I've been or been through and hasn't ever even spoken to me decide that they "know" this about me? Because people make assumptions. They read one thing, one diagnosis, and they allow that to define you.

In my case it seems that Fibromyalgia is the diagnosis that this person decided defined me. Which is hysterical since I got that diagnosis in 1997! I haven't had a problem with this in 8 years. I take no medication for this and I don't go to ER's or doctors looking for pain meds. I don't use it to sit at home, opt out of life or whine about my lot in life.

I know that there are people who relish being sick - who can't wait to have the attention and will use anything for an excuse so they don't have to work, go to school, raise their children, etc.

I assure you I am not one of them.

No comments: